Saturday, August 28, 2004

Sitting here- not writing the sitcom . . .

And thinking about other stuff. Ok- so an oversimplification of Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics is that the point in life is to be happy, and man wants to be happy, and the way to achieve this goal is by living life in accordance with virtue at all times. Basically, being a good person will make you happy.

I often thought the easy or more obvious part was knowing what the right thing is, but the hard part was not having the courage or strength or moral tenacity to be a responsible or ethical person. But lately I've really been questioning what is even right anymore. Obviously a lot of standards of right and wrong are just social norms and are supported by cultural tradition rather than any kind of substantive purpose. But I've been reevaluating all of the standards and rules I live by that have even worked and made me happy. I am starting to think that I might be growing out of my old standards. And how do you know if you're compromising something when you don't even know what it is?

Ooh look, a blimp is in the sky. Yeah, my attention has wondered, I guess I'll be stuck here in the middle like fog between the sky and the earth.

No comments: