Friday, September 10, 2004

Blah blah blah

Song of the day . . .
This one is really stuck in my head, it's fun:
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/streets_uk/audvid.jhtml
scroll down and click on "Fit but you know it"
the video is rather fun as well.
And download this track from somewhere, you will be rewarded:
Langley Schools Music Project
Song:"Space Oddity"
Album:
Innocence & Despair

So on to thoughts- My mind seriously cannot comprehend how stupid and messed up people can be. You would think that over time people would realize that life is better when you are a delightful person, little complaining, accepting, adaptable, friendly. I can't imagine how easily entertained most people are by the world without seeking anything more of it than whatever it is they do. And what does that have to do with being friendly? The simple idea that when you take a second to think about life, you may realize that you should try harder to give a crap about how you make other people feel, and are just freakin friendly for a change.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I like drinkin beers, and partying and being silly, but for some people out there that is the very end of what they do and it goes no further than that. I like working, but for some people, all they are is their job, and they seek no greater ambition and no greater role in society. For some people all they want to do is get some. Now doesn't that all get so boring after a while? I mean, Socrates chose to kill himself rather than live a life void of analysis, a life of censorship, a life where he could no longer think and question the world. Surely you have to emphasize his point where he says that the unexamined life is not worth living for a man. The essence of a true human life- the human experience, is exercising your rational abilities.

For how popular the movie Gladiator was, it seems to me that so many people missed the point. The Gladiator (Marcus Aurelius, also a famous Stoic philosopher) was fighting for "the senate" to be in control, and to ensure that Rome was run with laws and with greater priorities than mere bloodthirst and entertainment. All that the bad guy, Joaquin Phoenix, wanted was to offer people things that satisfied them without benefiting Rome or anyone. And the hero was someone who restored the rule of the Senators so that people could benefit from the great thinkers and attempt life as a civilized society.

To me, what qualifies as living a life that doesn't merely scratch the surface is a thinking life. A life of choices and making independent decisions that rely in no way on social mores. Where people actually talk about things that matter. Where people acknowledge things that affect them. Or at the very least, where people know enough to make others feel good in their presence- because you are being considerate towards them, or because you are able to adapt to that person and respond in such a way so that you can relate. There is no one person that any other person should be alienated from. Talk to everyone. There are so many finite things in the world but the minds of others contain infinite new things much like the bottom of the ocean or the universe.

So I do purposely try to spend time with as many different people as possible. It's free and it can be rewarding. But sometimes I feel like I am visiting someone else's guarded world. I find myself frequently a visitor, where many people stay in their carefully chosen social circles and submit to whatever narrow reality that they have created for themselves. I wonder why so many people lack the motivation to explore other people. It's like travel and all you have to do is be able to adapt.

And a point on the artistic element of human kind-
"you have to fight every day to stop censoring yourself. and you never have anyone else to blame when you do. what happens to artists is that it's not that somebody's standing in their way, it's that their own selves are standing in their way. the compromise really isn't how or what you do, the techniques you use, or even the content, but really the compromise is beginning to feel a lack of confidence in your innermost thoughts. and if you don't put these innermost thoughts on the screen then you are looking down on not only your audience but the people you work with, and that's what makes so many people working out there unhappy. these innermost thoughts become less and less a part of you and once you lose them then you don't have anything else. so many people have so much to say and there are so many really worthwhile things to say that it seems impossible that we could cut ourselves off from this whole avenue of enormous excitement."

from cassavetes on cassavetes

And what I am saying here isn't new. It's something I've said before and simply holds truer in this phase in my life.

All that I value is love, compassion and honesty above all other things. I would say that everything else falls into categories of either what I enjoy or do not enjoy- such as humor, pizza, and sex- as things I enjoy. But strip a human being of every element of society and the only worthwhile power a man has left is to really love or not to love- to really be and love and think, or to move forward as an unloving, base, self-centered animal.

I find the world is filled with animals disguised in Jeans and I-pods.

And onto the notion that I will meet some new boy that I will like better, I guess I can't sacrifice intelligence this time around. It's obviously really important to me. But I have found myself dating stupid boys just by default. Or because they are really cute. No, but the next time around, whenever that may be, I am not bothering unless the guy is the smartest man I have ever met. I suppose that much like the notion of men becoming musicians so they can score with chicks, I guess that's an added bonus of getting the phd in philosophy because the pool of peers might be mighty fine indeed.

And now that all of this is said and done, watch this trailor:

(click on the picture)

And if you really want to see a trailor of something fucking great and unbelievable that is to come, please watch the trailor for "Batman Begins".

No comments: