Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I swear, I looked just as cool as Bruce Willis in Die Hard . . .


Maastricht is one of the oldest cities in Europe and it sits right on the border of Belgium on the river Maas. In this picture you can see this tall building with a tower on each side. That building I think was built around 1200. Same with the town's famous bridge the Sint Servaasbrug:

I remember when I was there I got on one of those boats you see in the top picture and took a day trip to Liege, a small town in Belgium famous for Liege waffles, which rival Brussels waffles- the version of waffel that's know over here.

The Liege waffle. WAFFLES ARE COOL.

Anyhow, I was wondering around the city, and found myself in a city square, and since Belgium has a bit of a French influence, it has some notoriously "slow" and leisurely waitors. I had one of the best meals I've ever had in my life and I had no idea what I ate. I tend to just order the special or pick something randomly off a menu and look forward to a surprise. I think what I ate was chicken, but it had a foie gras consistency so I really don't know- but it was awesome. Anyhow I enjoyed my meal in the sunshine, threw back some wine, and off I went to catch my boat back to Maastricht. But unfortunately I didn't realize how far away I had wondered. So there I was rushing back through the city streets- going the right way with my map- but the map just made stuff seem closer together . . . anyhow I start rushing towards the boat, and of course, the boat is starting to take off. And what do I do? I jump on. That's right- Heather who has no coordination and barely enough motor skills to write legibly, jumps successfully onto a boat risking falling into the river Maas. And then as I got on people laughed and said things to me in Dutch that I did not understand. So then I ate some pie on the boat and called it a day. Mmm, Maastricht is also famous for its pies or "Limburg Vlaai". Mmmm that was good . . .

Perhaps next time I'll tell you the story about the fat sweaty deoderantless Frenchman who actually sat on me on the train and said "You are American, Is comical, no?"

No comments: