Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Stuffing Holes. Happy Weekend to you.

The Aviator

Scorsese and Lonergan

Lonergan interviews Scorsese
Leonardo DiCaprio is amazing in this movie. He's actually always good. I'd say his young career has impressed most people. He can really get to you and tear into a role. Well this time, I'd say, is exactly the right role to win him an Oscar. Depp was fantastic in Finding Neverland- with very realistic subtlety in all the right places- but the script really didn't allow him to go as far as DiCaprio had to go. This was one fucking hell of a role. I haven't seen Ray yet- but this is definitely Oscar winning material.

But Scorsese is inconsistent here. I feel that he put all his heart into perfecting the second half of the movie (which by the way was like 2 and a half hours long!). The first half had no movement. Cuts were dull- I hated the editing. Some of the choices Scorsese made seemed pointless. Rufus Wainwright, Frances Conroy, Willem Defoe, Loudon Wainwright, and Jude Law all made some really fun cameos- Jude's the most fun, as a surprisingly good Errol Flynn. Gwen Stefani fortunately really had no lines- I think she said one thing- and I was glad. Her presence in that role really did nothing for me. But all of the scenes in the first half seemed so disconnected and came across, as -ok- here ya go- this happened, and then this happened. Honestly he needs to cut it down more.

Also, about color and style- in much of the first half he fucks with the colors- in the interview he said it was on purpose, to reflect his love for movies made in the time period that the movie was at chronologically. So part of the movie is just red/brown and blue tones. But it took away from the movie instead of enhancing it. There was a time when Leo is eating blue peas. It's just stupid and meaningless and it doesn't enhance the feel of the piece. I think it should have been a bit more subtle rather than goofy. Also, later there are scenes in a court, and he shoots it to look like old news footage. That works. Oh yeah and the camera work is fantastic.

Anyhow, the whole thing turns around by the second half. There's one remarkable scene where something really bad happens and he does a damn good job on this. He presents a nice balance of glamour and "gritty" realism. The second half is flawless and quite an achievement. One thing though is the difference in performances of the actors. DiCaprio's character is demanding and multi-faceted. But all of the other roles are kind of silly, and not really demanding at all. They are just simple characters. Cate Blanchet should be given credit for doing an excellent job as the magnificent Kate Hepburn. She was fantastic. And there is this moment where Howard Hughes calls Kate Hepburn on acting instead of being real, which I guess is an element of her character. At first I thought Cate was cartoonish as Kate, but I think maybe that's how she really was. And Alan Alda does a swell job in his role as well. Otherwise, all the other parts, including Kate Beckensdale and Alec Baldwin, are simple. Oh yeah, and also in a simple role was Adam Scott. He's got good presence. I think he's got potential.

There's a lot of interesting thematic elements throughout the piece and I am not going to talk about that cause I don't want to spoil it for you. Oh yeah, and I like the mood of how it starts- no credits, etc. I recommend it. As a whole, it's one hell of a movie. I got to ask Scorsese a question too, but it's a spoiler so I'm not telling ya.

Clarification
I do in fact talk to my ex boyfriend, Brian, on a regular basis. We are friends of a sort. Nuff said. I'm not going into it, but we're on good terms. But in the event I should ever casually refer to him or something he said/did, don't be shocked. It ain't no thang.

Oh- and I decided on a headshot:

Behold- a star is born.

No comments: