Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The World is my Oyster you chumps.


Well I've been working on a commercial a lot yesterday and today and I'll be on set today. Yay. It's funny cause the talent is a bunch of beauty queens and their lines are really cheesy. Lines such as "Join (Unnamed) Gym today and be a winner! What does it take to be a winner? Losing weight! Firm those Buns! Be a winner!". So I don't have much time for blogging.

Highlight of yesterday- the male company I was with agreed to come with me to get a manicure. He didn't get polished or anything, but it was rather fun to bring a guy with me to a nail salon.

Ah yes and I saw Kinsey.
Great movie that's been getting great reviews. And it's a great movie. Really well told biopic on the life of the controversial "sex scientist". And I couldn't agree more that a man like that needed to explore what he explored. Sex is so paramount in human lives- people need to understand it. And fucking halleluyah for some of Kinsey's revelations. I imagine it opened a lot of doors for our generation of sex-havers. I only wish my ex could watch it. He'd possibly learn some things I've been trying to tell him for a while. I definately think its a negative to be old fashioned about sexual activities.

Moving along, the story is well told. I like the chronology of scenes and the time and attention paid to each element and its pacing. To put this movie in a nutshell- it's Honest. Very honest about people and the subject material. And it's really not too dirty or graphic, and the people who have a problem with the movie are idiots, and they must really have a problem with the real life Kinsey cause the movie is totally not controversial. At least I don't think so. It's too honest and direct- simply telling you who he was and what he did. Oh and there's this one very short scene where the director films a conversation with no close-ups, just full away, like down a hallway. Watching the actors deliver the lines from far away like that- important lines- was really interesting to me and I liked it.

Well acted. Peter Sarsgaard is so engaging. And naked. He gets naked. I am not a fan of his hairyness- but it's ok. He's not magnificent, but he's normal looking, not movie star looking. So it was still a nice view. What can I say, I like naked dudes. Oh yeah, back to the acting. I think Peter stands out- he's so real, natural, open on the camera. I love it. A very Brad Renfro/Nick Stahl quality about him. And this chick Julianne Nicholson played a small role, but I felt she had potential too. Laura Linney and Liam Neeson are both equally great, and do a fine, consistent job. I don't think oscar though. I think if anything Laura Linney could be nominated for Supporting Actress. Not sure though. I haven't seen too many good female roles out there this year- so maybe a Best Actress nom. Liam could get nominated, but I don't think he'd win- it's just not that kind of role.

Oh yeah, and it partly takes place in Hoboken, at Stevens Institute. Cool.
___________________

Much to my surprise, Kelly Clarkson's new music video is good stuff. I like her look/makeup wardrobe, the video itself is stylish, and the song is well written. It's very indie music inspired, and perhaps a sign that indie-pop is on its way to a TRL near you. And what fun she has in the video. I love smashing stuff. Only wish I could do it more often.
Here ya go:
Click on "Since U Been Gone"
Perhaps it's the pop music machine creating an image for her, or perhaps she's actually cool- I don't know. But while Ashlee Simpson and Avril Lavigne simply sport a punk look and put out entirely pop-fluffy music, this is a pop chick with a truly good song.

And I'd like to give some post-thanksgiving-thanks.
Fucking thank god I am not in law school anymore. Haha you fucking chumps! Enjoy your finals!

No comments: