Friday, July 11, 2008

Fond New Jersey Memories from Childhood: Action Park


Action Park was a scary waterpark designed for thrillseeker types in the ski resort area of Jersey. There were many absurd and unsafe rides and the danger was all a part of the fun. We loved to go and it was my favorite amusement park.

From the Action Park Wikipedia:

Its popularity went hand in hand with a reputation for poorly-designed, unsafe rides; inattentive, underaged, underpaid and sometimes under-the-influence employees[2]; equally intoxicated and underprepared visitors — and the poor safety record that followed from this perfect storm of circumstances. At least six people are known to have died as a result of mishaps on rides at the park, and it was nicknamed "Traction Park",[3] "Accident Park",[4] "Class Action Park", "Danger Park" and "Death Park" by doctors at nearby hospitals due to the number of severely injured parkgoers they treated.

And I found this comment on a youtube commercial for the park:
I almost drowned at Action Park in the 80's, I was 8 and my sweet life almost came to an end in that crazy F*CKING wave pool... when I woke up in the hospital ER I was surrounded my a ton of people... the lifeguard was high on coke which was found out later that week by police but then again, everyone int he 80's was i guess...my fear of water never changed after that...


We always left with scraped ankles. I remember that. I also remember feeling a chubby man or woman's body against my feet who was stuck in a dark waterslide as I went down.

read more about Action Park's awesome danger at the Weird NJ page

No comments: