Wednesday, September 23, 2009

a blog entry! that's really bloggy.

Ugh, I did my assignment wrong for Production today. It made me feel like crap because I'm trying so hard to get everything right this time around - meaning that I screwed up law school and I'm not going to make the same mistakes again. I'm a person who's had success in cutting corners and doing things "my way." But that's not what I want to do now. Not now that I'm paying so much to learn so much and progress so much with my life.

Someone said that NYU's grad film program teaches you in 3 years what working would teach you in 12. Intense, wonderful, I see how that's possible here. My class is 36 students, all full time, and it's an intense conservatory. The way it works is that you have a film you have to make periodically, and so all classes, production, sound, editing, directing, writing, camera, etc - inform how you will make these films. The film is not treated like a simple assignment, but as a piece of work to be taken seriously, shared with the world, submitted to festivals, broadcast on television, etc.

There's a lot of work. More work than I ever had in law school BUT I like this work so much more but as I'm developing a craft, it's a lot more practical than memorizing a court case that I could look up online.

And it's very personal, as art is personal, and film is collaborative and it involves people. All day long there's people in front of me, telling me things, asking me things, actively engaging me, not leaving me alone. I must be present, alive, productive, forward moving.

It's draining, scary, intense. I'm being made to face the things inside me that inspired my script and it's a lot more personal than I expected.

And in some moments, it's all going to be ok.

I'll be shooting my first project on BW 16mm FILM! At an apple orchard oooh! Here's some photos of the location.

No comments: