Tuesday, September 08, 2009

taking things rather seriously

my mind is completely amorphous, listening, absorbing things from my school program
listening and not blogging so much
i paid for this
paid plenty
and i just want to get out as much as i possibly can
i must say the first few days are already completely great - wonderful classmates, great professors, exciting assingments
I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M GONNA LEARN ALL THIS STUFF I ALLLLLWAYS WANTED TO KNOW!
and become the - wait, I wrote an essay that explains exactly how I feel in order to be admitted to the program. Here's my personal statement that I submitted for admission to NYU's Grad Film Program:
--------

What a dream it is to take the weirdness out of my mind and sculpt it into video.

Something resonates in my gut, like I'm a lion in the wild devouring a zebra. The blood, the beautiful striped fur, the meat, ripped open in my winning mouth. That's how I feel when I make a comedy video. I've hunted the idea in my mind. I want to share it. Then I get others to believe. I execute every detail to let it develop. It's shot, it's chopped, it plays. The feeling is a mixture of creation, destruction, and satisfaction: I've hunted and devoured, and I am full. In the end there's video, which lives and breathes outside of myself.

The satiated feeling I get from creating film is my gut telling me that I'm doing what I was born to do. I know now, after trying law school and years in the working world that I want to create films. My belief is so strong that two years ago, I ran up my charge cards buying camera and editing equipment so that I have the power and freedom to create what I want, when I want. I'm currently left with two thousand dollars to pay and no regret.

Film is so special to me because it is the most satisfying conduit for ideas. It's beautiful how minds collaborate to compliment each other for a final product, each contributor enhancing the work of the other. The undeniable permanence and relevance of video strengthens its allure. Because of film, we exist in a world where we are able to show and hear imagined worlds. All people with heart fantasize about the film version of what they see in their mind's eye.

The life I want is as a comedy television writer, director, and performer. I have made a number of videos as a novice. I want to attend NYU to obtain a Masters in Film Production because I want to be an expert. My videos have been featured in TV Guide, Gawker, MTV, the DC Comedy Festival, the front page of Myspace, and have been in the top ranked comedy videos on Youtube. Recently, the selective comedy video company My Damn Channel commissioned me as a writer/director/performer to create original content for their website. Within the comedy community I am already known as someone who creates high quality videos. The success of my small passion projects gives me confidence that I can succeed as a professional filmmaker.

I cannot, however, consider my life goals or my past accomplishments without taking into account the fact that I am female. There are not enough powerful female directors and writers, especially not in comedy. The role of a filmmaker is powerful, as it mirrors perspectives and reflects the character of the status quo. It matters that women shape our social fabric. Mine is not just a female voice; it's a ballsy, brazen, bellowing female voice.

Many people say that you don't need film school to achieve in the entertainment industry, but I don't care about that. I want to have as much finesse and skill as possible so that I can share my voice with the truest possible sound. I want to make the best work that I can, and the NYU Kanbar Institute is the best film school in the world.

-------

Anyhow, I'm in absorption mode - taking things in, not putting them out so much at the moment. The only thing I want to come out of me are my projects and assignments and I want to give it my 100%

I'll be performing rarely. You can see my show schedule and pre-film school videos here: http://www.myspace.com/heatherfink
(Think Different and Meats - Underpants are my favorite creations)

oh and also twittering sometimes - thats on ur mobile and oh so easy

No comments: