Saturday, February 25, 2012

Predator is one of my favorite movies.



I'm a very serious fan of Arnold Shwarzenegger's movies from the 80s and 90s. There's never been another actor quite like him and I'm not sure if there ever will be one again. He totally MADE some of the movies he was in. Unfortunately, it seems the man's politics and treatment of women are downright repulsive. However - his performances have been so fun, exciting, and thrilling, that I'm one of the biggest fans there is. He's also chosen some of the best scripts EVER.

my favorite Arnold:
TERMINATOR 1 and 2
Predator
Total Recall
Commando
Twins
Kindergarten Cop
True Lies

I've gotta say I also really LOVE STALLONE!
He won my heart in CopLand, and the man also wrote and directed the iconic Rocky. He's also THE Rambo, and Demolition Man - where his comic abilities stole my heart again!

Aside from Arnold and Stallone, the 80s/90s had some other fantastic action heroes like Van Damme (who gave the performance of his lifetime as him self in 2008's JCVD), Dolph Lundgren and Steven Seagal - but none of them hold a candle to Stallone and Arnold, sorry. Bruce Willis isn't the same because, aside from Die Hard, he's more of an actor than an action star. I really loved young Bruce Willis' comic abilities in Moonlighting and from the same era, young Tom Hanks in Busom Buddies. Man, young Tom Hanks was a comic genius. That doesn't have anything to do with this topic. But this does: I don't think modern day action stars hold a candle to the Terminator or Rambo either. As a filmmaker I dream of finding the next Arnold. I'm thinking maybe Tilda Swinton? But she's already Tilda Swinton. Could be amazing if she ripped out some bad guys' aortas.

I also really love the aliens and bad guys of 80s action movies.

ALIEN with Sigourney Weaver? I mean come on?! Fuggetabout it - that's awesome times a million!
And the Predator from Predator? He's sooo cool! Of course they made AVP! It makes so much sense.

So far the best female action stars ever have been Linda Hamilton as T2's Sarah Connor, and Sigourney as Alien's Ripley.

The best character/story that I'd love to make is The Punisher as written by Garth Ennis - The Punisher has been made many times but nobody has gotten it right. What would be way more amazing is if I could adapt this genre for a female lead.

I just wrote about all of these things because they give me deep inner joy.

Peace out.

1 comment:

Arion said...

Hello, you have a great blog. Seems to me like we have similar tastes in films (and comic books, I'm actually a big fan of Garth Ennis). Coincidentally, I just reviewed Happiness by Todd Solondz and several other films which you might find interesting here:

www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Cheers.